Christie Kizer Burbank, Chair of the firm's Healthcare Group, concentrates her legal practice exclusively in healthcare regulatory and transactional law matters for a broad range of healthcare providers, including facilities, groups and individual providers. Specifically, Christie has extensive experience in healthcare contract drafting and negotiations, fraud and abuse analyses, physician self-referral issues, HIPAA and privacy issues, subpoenas and other requests for patient records, physician group practice and compensation issues, hospital and physician arrangements, physician recruitment issues, medical staff bylaws and credentialing, joint ventures and management relationships, employment, medical director and specialty services agreements, compliance plan development, licensure, certification and accreditation issues, operational and patient care issues, corporate practice of medicine and fee splitting concepts, walk-in clinics, employee health clinics and wellness programs, clinical research issues and similar matters.
Christie has enjoyed serving her local healthcare community currently as Chair of Erlanger Health System Foundations Board, a Board Member of the Greater Chattanooga Colon Cancer Foundation and an Ambassador of Siskin Children's Institute. In the past, she served in a volunteer capacity as a long-time Institutional Review Board member at a local hospital. Prior to law school, she performed clinical, data and laboratory research in the medical fields of neonatology and pediatric infectious diseases at the University of Alabama at Birmingham School of Medicine.
- Represented large Tennessee hospital system as healthcare regulatory counsel by (a) conducting analyses of proposed arrangements between hospital and physicians to determine compliance with healthcare regulatory laws; (b) preparing physician contracts (including employment agreements and professional services agreements); (c) reviewing vendor contracts; (d) setting up contract management procedures to ensure review and compliance of renewing/evergreen contracts; and (e) assisting in the purchase by hospital of physician practices.
- Serving as healthcare regulatory counsel for large home health and hospice chain provider in all aspects of Stark and AKA compliance including preparation of physician contract templates (such as medical director contracts and physician leases), review of major vendor contracts, and developing and implementing compliance program (including marketing standards of conduct).
- Representing Tennessee specialty hospital in healthcare regulatory review of and drafting of contracts as needed.
- Conducting due diligence reviews of healthcare contracts, financial arrangements and compliance programs in anticipation of purchase of healthcare entity (on behalf of buyer) or of loan to healthcare entity (on behalf of lender).
- Conducting healthcare regulatory reviews of contracts, arrangements and financial relationships for healthcare providers in anticipation of voluntary disclosures or in response to government investigations.
- Serving as healthcare regulatory counsel for large local urgent care clinic system, eating disorder treatment facility, substance abuse treatment facility and several large physician groups in all aspects of Stark, Anti-Kickback, and/or HIPAA compliance.
- J.D., cum laude, University of Tennessee College of Law, 2000
- Recipient, Waller Lansden Dortch & Davis Scholarship, 1997
- Student Editor, Tennessee Law Review, 1998-2000
- B.S., magna cum laude, Mathematics, The University of the South, Sewanee, 1993-94
- Member, Phi Beta Kappa, 1994
- Recipient, Wilkins Scholarship, 1990
- Recipient, Woods Leadership Award, "the highest honor conferred upon a student by the University", 1994
- Student Trustee, Member of University's Board of Trustees, 1992-94
- Erlanger Health System Foundations Board - Chair, 2016-2017
- Best Lawyers® "Lawyer of the Year" - Healthcare Law, 2016 (as the single lawyer chosen in her specialty in her metropolitan area)
- Tennessee Bar Association – 25th and 26th Annual Health Law Forum - Producer, Host and Facilitator (a nationally-recognized health law conference with forty speakers), 2013-2014
- City Scope magazine - The Gold Club for Leadership (recognized as a Business Leader with exceptional leadership skills), 2014
- The Best Lawyers in America© - Healthcare Law since 2012
- Tennessee Bar Association, Health Law Section - Section Chair, 2014
- Tennessee Bar Association, Executive Council - East Tennessee Delegate, 2009-Present
- American Bar Association, Health Law Section
- American Health Lawyers Association
- Chattanooga Bar Association
- Georgia Academy of Healthcare Attorneys
- State Bar of Georgia
- Tennessee Bar Association, Medical-Legal Partnership Working Group – Member, 2014-2015
- Erlanger Health System Foundations - Board Member, 2012-Present; Board Chair, 2016-2017
- Greater Chattanooga Colon Cancer Foundation - Board Member, 2011-Present
- Chambliss Center for Children - Secretary of Board of Directors, 2015
- Siskin Children's Institute - 365 Ambassadors' Club - Member, 2010-Present; Co-Chair, 2012-2013
- Creative Discovery Museum - Board Member, 2015-Present
- Junior League of Chattanooga - Sustaining Member
- Rotary Club of Chattanooga
- Miller & Martin's Christie Kizer Burbank Participates in Ground Breaking Ceremony for Erlanger Children's Hospital
- 54 Miller & Martin Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® 2017 Edition
- Burbank Named Board Chair for Erlanger Health System Foundations
- Christie Kizer Burbank Listed as a Best Lawyers® 2016 Health Care
- Eight Miller & Martin Attorneys Named Best Lawyers® "Lawyers of the Year" for 2016
- 54 Miller & Martin Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® 2016 Edition
- 55 Miller & Martin Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® 2015 Edition
- Christie Burbank Highlighted in CityScope Magazine
- 50 Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® 2014 Edition
- Christie Kizer Burbank Elected to be Vice-Chair of Tennessee Bar Association
- 49 Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® 2013 Edition
- Christie Burbank Quoted in Nashville Medical News
Christie climbed Mount Kilimanjaro in Africa in 2003 with her father in celebration of his 60th birthday.