Merrill F. Nelson II
Office: 423.785.8276 | Fax: 423.321.1676
Merrill Nelson advises clients on a wide variety of corporate law matters, including mergers and acquisitions, private equity and venture capital financing and general corporate contracting. Merrill has advised purchasers and sellers in business transactions in the manufacturing, healthcare, video production and industrial supply industries, among others. He has also counseled both founders and investors in negotiating private equity investments for startup and emerging companies. Additionally, Merrill has worked with closely-held businesses and owners on resolving ownership disputes and other corporate governance issues.
Mergers & Acquisitions
- Represented a private-equity backed manufacturer of ergonomic products in a strategic acquisition of an adjustable desk distributor.
- Represented a publicly-traded flooring tools and accessories company in a strategic acquisition of a hardwood flooring distributor.
- Represented a private-equity backed trucking and logistics company in its sale to a publicly-traded acquirer.
- Represented a development stage meat-free food company in the acquisitions of a frozen meat-free product line from a national food company and the assets of a production facility.
- Represented F.H.G. Corporation d/b/a Integrity Nutraceuticals in a recapitalization transaction with an affiliate of H.I.G. Growth Partners.
- Represented a private equity fund in its acquisition of a flexible materials conversion company in a transaction involving senior and mezzanine debt.
- Represented the owners of a caving and rescue equipment supplier in an asset sale transaction.
- Representation of the Tennessee Attorney General’s Office in connection with the approval and issuance of a Certificate of Public Advantage to Ballad Health, the common parent entity of Mountain States Health Alliance and Wellmont Health System.
- Representation of Siskin Rehabilitation Hospital in the acquisition of substantially all of the assets of St. Baranbas Nursing Home in Chattanooga, TN.
- Representation of Claiborne County Hospital and Nursing Home of Tazewell, Tennessee in the sale of its assets to an affiliate of Covenant Health.
- Representation of both investors and companies in multiple seed round, Series A and Series B capital raise transactions, including multiple transactions involving the co-investment of LaunchTN through the INCITE Fund.
General Counsel Services
- Representation of a leading healthcare contract management service provider in contract negotiations with healthcare systems throughout the U.S.
- Representation of an online video production studio in contract negotiations with clients throughout the U.S.
- Representation of a regional production and staging staffing company in contract negotiations with multiple venues and event promoters.
- J.D., University of Tennessee College of Law, 2011
- News & Acquisitions Editor, Transactions: The Tennessee Journal of Business Law
- M.B.A., University of Tennessee College of Business Administration, 2011
- B.B.A., Real Estate, University of Georgia, 2007
- A.B., History, University of Georgia, 2007
- American Bar Association - 2021 ABA Military Pro Bono Project Outstanding Services Award Recipient
- Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch in America - Corporate Law, since 2023
- Chattanooga Bar Association
- Tennessee Bar Association
- Chattanooga Girls Leadership Academy - Board Member, since 2021
- First Centenary United Methodist Church - Member
- LAUNCH Chattanooga – Presentations at Multiple Entrepreneur Academy Classes
- The Company Lab (CO.LAB) - Business Mentor
- The McCallie School - Alumni Reunion Committee
- Miller & Martin Represented Sovereign’s Capital in its acquisition of Ascend Wireless
- Miller & Martin Represented Sovereign’s Capital in its acquisition of Callis Capital
- 9 Miller & Martin Attorneys Named to 2023 Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch in America™
- Miller & Martin Attorneys Kesler and Nelson Receive 2021 ABA Military Pro Bono Project Outstanding Services Award
- Miller & Martin Represented RestorePro Reconstruction in its Sale to Fleet Response Show more
Earned the title of Doubles Champion during the 2015 Startup Week Ping Pong Tournament.