Office: 423.785.8360 | Fax: 423.321.1515
Mark Degler concentrates his practice in the area of corporate law, with an emphasis on mergers and acquisitions, business transactions, international law and taxation. He serves as corporate counsel to several of Miller & Martin's clients and has advised numerous clients on many acquisitions, mergers, reorganizations and sales of businesses, as well as various debt and equity securities offerings involving publicly and privately held companies. Mark serves as Chair of the firm's Mergers & Acquisitions and Private Equity Group as well as partner-in-charge of the firm’s practice development department.
Prior to joining Miller & Martin, Mark practiced for several years with King & Spalding LLP in its Washington, D.C. office. Mr. Degler worked on numerous domestic and cross-border transactions with both publicly and privately held clients. He also served in Moscow as the United States Treasury Department's Senior Tax Policy Advisor to the Russian Federation (1995-1996), and provided advice to several other foreign governments in Eastern Europe and the former Soviet Union on tax, budget, banking and public and private securities policy in connection with their transition to market economies. Mark's services have also been retained by other providers of policy advice and technical assistance to foreign governments, such as the International Monetary Fund and Harvard University's Institute for International Development.
- J.D., University of Virginia School of Law, 1988
- Virginia Tax Review Editorial Board, 1986 to 1987 and Executive Editor, 1987 to 1988
- B.S., magna cum laude, University of Tennessee at Chattanooga, 1985
- Best Lawyers® "Lawyer of the Year" (Chattanooga, Tennessee) - Corporate Law, 2023
- Best Lawyers® "Lawyer of the Year" (Chattanooga, Tennessee)- Corporate Law, 2021
- The Best Lawyers in America© - Corporate Law, since 2013
- Mid-South Super Lawyers® - Mergers & Acquisitions, since 2017
- American Bar Association, Business Law and Taxation
- Chattanooga Bar Association
- Chattanooga Tax Practitioners - Former President, 1997-1998
- State Bar of Georgia
- Tennessee Bar Association
- Chambliss Center for Children - Board of Directors
- University of Tennessee at Chattanooga College of Business - Dean's Advisory Board Member
- Miller & Martin Advised L2 Brands in its Acquisition of Ouray Sportswear
- 13 Miller & Martin Attorneys Named to 2022 Mid-South Super Lawyers and Rising Stars Lists
- 52 Miller & Martin Attorneys Named to 2023 The Best Lawyers in America® List
- Mark Degler Named Best Lawyers® 2023 Corporate Law "Lawyer of the Year" in Chattanooga
- Miller & Martin Attorneys Named Best Lawyers® 2023 "Lawyer of the Year" for Respective Practices in Chattanooga Show more
Mr. Degler really enjoys playing golf, particularly with his daughter, even though he isn’t very good at it.