Howard I. Levine
Office: 423.785.8233 | Fax: 423.321.1542
We mourn the untimely loss of our retired partner and friend, Howard I. Levine who passed away on Wednesday, June 29, 2022. Howard was an exceptional lawyer who also dedicated much of his time to service on boards of organizations in his community.
Howard joined Miller & Martin in 1964, where he practiced in the corporate department. Howard focused his practice on healthcare, life insurance, trusts and estates, and corporate law. He served as lead counsel for a large life insurance company and in a similar role for a regional hospital, where he served as advisor to the hospital’s board of directors, executive committee and credentialing committee. He also represented many other business organizations and was a board member of North American Royalties. Inc. Howard served as Chairman of our firm from September 2002 until November 2009.
Howard was a former chair of the Chattanooga Area Chamber of Commerce and president of the Chattanooga Downtown Rotary Club. He was a former president of his temple, Mizpah Congregation. Howard proudly served in the United States Army Reserve as a First Lieutenant in the Judge Advocate General’s Corps.
Howard graduated from The McCallie School, Yale University, and University of Virginia School of Law.
Howard is survived by his beloved wife, Mary Jane, and sons, Jim (Jill) and Matthew (Heather), and four grandchildren.
(Please direct business-related inquiries to Matt Jannerbo at 423.785.8322 or Scott Parrish at 423.785.8218)
- J.D., University of Virginia, 1963
- B.S., Yale University, 1960
- The Best Lawyers in America© - Health Care Law since 1991
- American Bar Association
- Association of Life Insurance Counsel
- Chattanooga Bar Association
- Tennessee Bar Association
- Tennessee Bar Association Health Law Section (past chairman)
Has served as President/Chairman of the following organizations:
- Chattanooga Area Chamber of Commerce
- Chattanooga Chamber Foundation
- Mizpah Congregation
- Rotary Club of Chattanooga
- Salvation Army Advisory Board
- Team Evaluation Center
- Tennessee Bar Association Health Law Section
- Yale Club of Chattanooga
He also served on the boards of the following organizations:
- Association of Yale Alumni
- The Bright School
- Chambliss Center for Children
- Chattanooga Police Foundation
- The McCallie School
- Mountain City Club
- UTC Chancellor’s Roundtable
- In Memoriam: Howard I. Levine (1938-2022)
- 50 Miller & Martin Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® 2021 Edition
- 50 Miller & Martin Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® 2020 Edition
- 53 Miller & Martin Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® 2019 Edition
- 56 Miller & Martin Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America 2018 Edition Show more
Howard served in the United States Army Reserves – First Lieutenant in Judge Advocate General’s Corps.