Mr. Smith has a broad-based practice with emphasis in antitrust, business, healthcare, utility and telecommunications law. His extensive experience includes handling trial and appellate work in state and federal courts as well as regulatory, transactional and legislative assignments for clients in each of these sectors.
Mr. Smith has more than forty years’ experience in assisting individuals and business clients with all aspects of their legal representation. He serves as outside counsel to several small- and medium-sized businesses and has handled numerous transactional matters, matters in litigation and matters before state and federal agencies for these clients.
Mr. Smith's experience for clients in the utility arena spans more than thirty years and has involved numerous engagements for electric, natural gas, water, wastewater, railroad and broadband clients. Mr. Smith serves as General Counsel to an association of more than 150 municipal electric systems and electric cooperatives. He serves as General Counsel to one of the nation's largest municipal electric systems, and he regularly works with several of the nations' largest municipal utility systems and electric cooperatives. Mr. Smith also serves as General Counsel to an association captive insurance company that provides or arranges for various lines of insurance coverage to utility systems. He splits his time between the firm's Chattanooga and Nashville offices.
- Represented an automotive retail group for more than 40 years. Representation included the sale and acquisition of dealerships and general corporate consulting.
- J.D., University of Cincinnati College of Law, 1964
- B.S., University of Tennessee at Chattanooga, 1961
- Martindale-Hubbell® - AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rated
- The Best Lawyers in America© - Antitrust Law; Litigation-Antitrust Law; Corporate Law; and Energy Law since 1995
- Mid-South Super Lawyers®, 2006, 2010-2013
- American Bar Foundation - Life Fellow
- American College of Trial Lawyers - Fellow
- Chattanooga Bar Foundation - Life Fellow
- Tennessee Bar Foundation - Fellow
- American Bar Association
- Chattanooga Bar Association
- Tennessee Bar Association
- 52 Miller & Martin Attorneys Named to 2022 Best Lawyers® List
- 50 Miller & Martin Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® 2021 Edition
- 50 Miller & Martin Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® 2020 Edition
- 53 Miller & Martin Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® 2019 Edition
- 54 Miller & Martin Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® 2017 Edition Show more