#1 Law Firm That Understands Economic Development
With tax incentives becoming a standard component of site selection, leading southeastern law firm Miller & Martin has made a name for itself in the economic development field. The firm has taken the lead on incentive project in more than 100 cities and 33 states.
Click here to see full story.
Miller & Martin's Tax Incentives Group works with clients in all fields including manufacturing, distribution, suppliers, commercial and residential development and retail looking to locate or expand new facilities throughout the United States. Group attorneys work with clients to maximize the return on their projected capital investment by leveraging existing relationships to ensure clients benefit from available state, county and local incentives - some of which are not publicly advertised.
Members of the group maintain a vast network of state and local contacts throughout the country to streamline clients' site selection and incentive negotiation processes. Group attorneys maintain strong relationships with professional and chamber-based business organizations and local economic development organizations to better assist clients with their projects. They also have the networks and the capabilities to lobby for changes in state statutes and local ordinances when necessary to benefit clients.
Upon engagement for a new project, the Tax Incentives Group will prepare a presentation that provides state and local economic development representatives with an overview of the company and the particular project. Attorneys research local laws to determine the availability of grants, tax credits and other negotiated incentives. The Tax Incentives Group also represents developers to obtain federal low-income housing tax credits, historic tax credits, new markets tax credits and other federally-subsidized financing options and works with clients when tax-exempt or public bond financing is involved.
Clients benefit from our proprietary compliance database that tracks and monitors annual deadlines and reporting requirements. Group attorneys notify clients of approaching compliance deadlines and complete the required reports and forms on their behalf.
Southern Business & Development magazine named Miller & Martin one of the top firms in the Southeast that understands economic development.
We have taken the lead on incentive projects in 130 cities and in 33 states and regularly obtain the following types of benefits for clients:
- Manufacturing and Technology Incentives
- Employment Incentives
- Business Development Incentives
- Housing Development Incentives
- Environmental, Green Building and Sustainability Incentives
- Redevelopment Incentives
- Special Financing
- Represented a Belgian carpet company in establishing a 500,000 square foot facility in northwest Georgia.
- Represented one of the largest companies from the Republic of China, Taiwan, in establishing an $80 million plastic pipe manufacturing facility in south Georgia.
- Represented one of the world's largest diaper makers in establishing a $50 million manufacturing facility in South Carolina.
- Represented one of the world's largest chemical companies in negotiating the incentive package for a $210 million facility north of Charleston, South Carolina.
- Assisted a major U.S. based telecommunications company with a joint venture in Thailand.
- Obtained a $2 million award from the London Arbitration Council for a Danish shipping Company.
- Represented one of the largest electronic companies in Japan with its trading activities in North and South America.
- Negotiating and facilitating the acquisition of soft drink manufacturing plants for the world's largest soft drink bottling organization.
- Negotiating aggressive incentive packages for a German automobile manufacturer including: Land: location, readiness and cost.
- Property tax abatements.
- Aggressive statutory incentives.
- Franchise & excise tax credits.
- HQ relocation expenses ($100K / employee).
- Negotiation of incentive packages to Wacker Chemie AG.