Ryan Kurtz helps companies protect their businesses and overcome legal challenges before, during and after disputes arise. He has significant experience resolving business and commercial disputes through mediation, litigation and arbitration involving shareholders, financial institutions, intellectual property and trade secrets, false advertising, fidelity bonds, product liability, construction and real estate. Mr. Kurtz has also advised many foreign and U.S. businesses regarding the prevention, management and resolution of international disputes.
- U.S. counsel for an Italian manufacturer in litigation arising out of the sale of plastic recycling equipment. Matter also involved parallel litigation in Italy, claims governed by the Convention on the International Sale of Goods, and an anti-suit injunction.
- U.S. counsel for an Italian jewelry company in litigation with a leading U.S. jewelry designer. Case also involved parallel litigation in Rome, Italy.
- U.S. counsel for a Spanish hotel group in litigation and arbitration in the U.S., Luxemburg, Mexico and Spain related to the commercialization and operation of several hotels in Cancun, Mexico.
- Represented a German company in litigating patent infringement, trade dress and trade secret claims against a former manager.
- Represented a German company in trademark, trade dress and false advertising litigation with its former U.S. distributor.
- Represented company officers and directors in litigation asserted by the company's former general counsel seeking amounts claimed under a stock purchase agreement.
- Obtained summary judgment in a patent dispute involving pharmaceutical products used for the treatment of acne, a decision that was upheld by the Federal Circuit on appeal.
- Represented a community bank in prosecuting fidelity bond claims.
- Represented insurance companies and policyholders in disputes involving coverage under various business, professional and personal lines of insurance.
- Represented manufacturers, distributors and sellers of products in claims involving defective design, negligent manufacture and implied warranties of merchantability and fitness.
- Represented employers, executives and employees in claims involving the Trade Secrets Act and non-solicit, non-compete, non-recruitment, non-disclosure and employment agreements.
- Represented the FDIC as receiver in the investigation and fidelity bond litigation arising out of one of the largest bank failures in the history of the United States.
- J.D., University of Tennessee College of Law, 1996
- B.A., College of Charleston, 1993
- U.S. District Court, Northern and Middle Districts of Georgia
- U.S. District Court, Eastern and Middle Districts of Tennessee
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fourth and Eleventh Circuits
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
- Georgia Supreme Court
- Tennessee Supreme Court
- Visiting attorney with leading Italian law firm in Rome, Italy
- Named Honorary Consul General of Italy in Atlanta, 2016
- American Bar Association
- Atlanta Bar Association
- Atlanta International Arbitration Society
- State Bar of Georgia
- Tennessee Bar Association
- Italy Atlanta Alliance - Board of Directors
- Italy Atlanta Foundation - Board of Directors
- Cathedral of Christ the King
Ryan is the Honorary Consul General of Italy in Atlanta and is proficient in Italian.