Miller & Martin Values Diversity
Miller & Martin is committed to diversity and inclusion. We recognize that a diverse workforce and inclusive work environment are necessary if we are to effectively understand and serve our clients and value the different backgrounds and experiences of all our employees. Through recruitment, hiring, retention and advancement, the firm continues its commitment to our formal Diversity Initiative. Working together we strive to serve both our clients and our communities with excellence.
An environment of inclusion is a priority at Miller & Martin, and our Diversity Committee provides the powerful leadership and support to maintain this atmosphere. The Committee is responsible for implementing the firm's Diversity Initiative.
Accomplishments & Recognition
The firm continues to be recognized for its commitment to incorporate the goals of our Diversity Initiative in the operations of the firm:
- Ranked among the top 200 law firm's for diversity in the American Lawyer'' 2011 Diversity Survey, one of only three ranked firms in Tennessee.
- Recipient of the Nashville Bar Association's 2009, 2010 & 2011 Leadership Award for our "contributions to enhance diversity and professional success."
- Ranked in the 'Top 50 Law Firms for Associates' and 'Top 25 Law Firms for African-Americans' by MultiCultural Law Magazine's 2011 and 2012 issues.
- Ranked in the 'Top 100 Law Firms for Diversity' by MultiCultural Law Magazine's 2009, 2010 & 2011 issues.
- Ranked 1st in MultiCultural Law Magazine's 2009 list of the 'Top 25 Law Firms for African Americans.'
- Recipient of the 2008 Corporate Leadership Award, given by the Urban League of Greater Chattanooga for proactive efforts in the development and implementation of a comprehensive diversity policy and employment practices.
- Recipient of the 2004 Legacy Award, given by The Nashville Club of The National Association of Negro Business and Professional Women's Clubs Inc.
In the Profession
- Curtis Martin is Immediate Past President of the Gate-City Bar Association and inducted into the Leadership Council for Legal Diversity Fellows Program. He also received the National Bar Association's 2012 Presidential Award.
- Marcy Eason was selected to be a National Delegate for Tennessee for Vision 2020, a nationwide initiative focused on women's economic and social equality.
- Jimar Sanders was named to Lawyers of Color's Inaugural Hot List.
Involvement & Support
The firm participates in and supports numerous diversity-related efforts, including:
- American Bar Association
- Minority Counsel Program
- Commission on Racial and Ethnic Diversity in the Profession's Minority Counsel Program
- Gate City Bar Association
- Hall of Fame Dinner
- Community Law Clinic
- Justice Robert Benham Law Camp
- Nashville Bar Association's
- Minority Opportunities Program
- Music City Minority Clerk Mixer
- Leadership Council on Legal Diversity
- Frontiers International--Chattanooga African-American Chamber of Commerce
- Georgia Hispanic Chamber of Commerce
- Lawyers Association for Women
- Meharry Medical College Circle of Friends Gala
- Napier-Looby Bar Association Youth Life Learning Center
- National Civil Rights Museum Capital Campaign
- Tennessee State University Foundation Scholarship Gala
- Urban League of Greater Chattanooga
- In May 2011, Miller & Martin successfully hosted the first annual "50 Women You Need to Meet" event in Nashville, bringing together leading women from a diverse cross-section of the business community
Miller & Martin actively recruits diverse and female candidates for our summer program through on-campus interviews, resume drops, and several regional and local minority job fairs, including the Southeastern Minority Job Fair, Damali Booker 1L Minority Job Fair and the Tennessee Bar Association Diversity Job Fair.
Below is a list of some of the minority organizations the firm supports.
- The University of Tennessee College of Law's Annual Julian Blackshear Jr. Scholarship Gala to honor one of its first African American graduates, Julian Blackshear, Jr.
- Southern Regional Black Law Student Association Convention
- Leadership Council on Legal Diversity's 1L Scholars Program
- Tennessee Alliance for Black Lawyers - Emphasis on minority hiring and retention