Alfred E. Smith, Jr.
Suite 1000 Volunteer Building
832 Georgia AvenueChattanooga, TN 37402-2289
Alfred Smith concentrates his practice on municipal finance, corporations, tax, local government and international law. He has assisted foreign and domestic companies in locating facilities in Tennessee through the development of tax exemptions, tax exempt finance and other tax incentives. Mr. Smith has recently served as bond counsel in connection with tax exempt bond issues for major corporations ranging from $3.75 million to $10 million. He has also served as borrower's counsel in connection with several health care related bond issues ranging from $25 million to $45 million. He represents Cornerstones, Inc., a local historic preservation organization.
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America®, Public Finance Law since 2003
- Miller & Martin's Tax Incentives Practice Group - Past Chair
- Selected for inclusion in Mid South Super Lawyer, 2007 & 2008
- J.D., University of Michigan Law School, 1975
- A.B., University of North Carolina, 1971
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Chattanooga Chamber Foundation, Board of Directors - Member
- Chattanooga State Foundation, Board of Directors - Member
- Chattanooga Symphony & Opera Association, Board of Directors - Member
- Hunter Museum of American Art, Board of Directors - Member